Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Ordinary

From the South Bend Tribune
Voice of the People
12/31/08

I have always known I was different. I could not put a name on it, but people around me sensed my vulnerability and they used it against me. When I was very young I was sexually abused by a teenage neighbor. I stayed pretty much a loner for a good part of my life since.

It would be years before I could put a name on my feelings. I have taken classes at Indiana University South Bend in psychology, sociology and anthropology. These diversity classes led me into gay organizations where I finally found a home. I can relate to these people and I have found peace of mind among them. So it makes me feel sad when

Christians use the Bible to discredit and misrepresent the gay experience in this community and elsewhere.

ay people are ordinary people just trying to live their lives. That's all. End of story. We are kind, giving, responsible people who wish nothing more than to stop being discriminated against.

Bernie Dolezal Jr.
South Bend

No comments: