Wednesday, April 29, 2009

College students fight for gay and lesbian rights in South Bend

Apr 28, 2009
wndu.com

Several groups of college students stood up for what they believe in last night at the South Bend Common Council meeting, saying their rights are not protected and it must change.

They are talking about changing the city's human rights ordinance to include sexual orientation.

Back in 2006, there was a heated debate in the council chambers over this same issue.

Under the current ordinance, gay and lesbian students say their biggest fear is to live in South Bend after graduation.

“If I decided to start a career here, I could be fired just because of the fact I'm gay, not for the fact my job qualifications have blundered, just for the fact I'm gay,” said Zach Duncan, a student at IUSB.

Duncan and other supporters say they will keep showing up to these meetings hoping to persuade the council to make some changes.

No comments: